Is there a fee for an additional driver?
Any additional driver (excluding a spouse or domestic partner) will pay a daily fee. Renter’s spouse or domestic partner who meet the same age and driver’s license requirements of the renter are authorized drivers at no additional charge. Any additional authorized drivers must appear at time of rental and meet age and driver’s license requirements. An additional charge of $15 per day for each additional authorized driver will be added to the cost of the rental, unless other contractual conditions apply. In New York state, the additional authorized driver charge is $5 per day.
A spouse or domestic partner is the only permitted additional driver on a rental secured with a debit card.
Fees are also waived for the following:
- Rentals by Emerald Club members when the member's spouse, common law spouse, or same-sex domestic partner has the same address on the driver's license as the Emerald Club member and meets normal renter requirements.
- Rentals by Emerald Club members when the member's immediate family member (mother, father, son, daughter, brother or sister) has the same address on the driver's license as the Emerald Club member and meets normal renter requirements.
- Commercial (corporate) rentals when the renter's business partner, employer or fellow associate, who has an assigned corporate contract with National and drives the car for business purposes and meet normal renter requirements.
- Rentals for/by disabled renters who cannot drive (one additional driver fee will be waived)
EMC numbers can only be used when the actual member is picking up the vehicle. EMC status is not transferable and the reservation must be booked in the customer's name who will be picking up the vehicle and presenting the form of payment.
All other additional authorized driver situations are subject to a daily charge.
An additional driver may only be added to the contract at a rental location and may be added or removed in the middle of the contract. When adding an additional driver in the middle of the contract both the renter and the additional driver must be present at the location.
The system will calculate the charges based on the dates the additional driver was listed on the rental.
All additional drivers must:
- Meet age requirements
- Appear at the rental counter with the primary renter
- Present a valid driver's license
An additional daily fee may apply for any additional drivers listed on the rental agreement.